Homemade pizza sauce



The other day my active seven year old, who is too busy battling zombies and creepers on mine craft and building superstructures with Legos, and whizzing by on his scooter at the speed of light, to even think about food, unless I shove it right under his nose, Actually actually came and asked me to make a pizza for him!!!

Now that's one request that's not going to be ignored.

So I decided. pizza it is !!!
And what's more no store bought pizza sauce with unpronounceable ingredients . I am going to make my own authentic Italian mama pizza sauce.  But sadly I do not know any Italian mamas or Nonnas for that matter, I looked up the internet for recipes, and found so many that I really didn't know which one to use, so I went ahead and boldly came up with one of my own. A recipe both simple to prepare (but be warned- it's not fast) and delicious. It's also versatile. You can use it on a pizza or toss it with some pasta, or even in a sandwich or a wrap. Your tastebuds will thank you for it. (And yes I do understand making a sauce put of tomatos and garlic and onions can hardly be called an original recipe, so No, I don't intend to patent it.)

Read on for the recipe


Take about 12  tomatos and chop them into eights

Place them in a saucepan on low heat. Cover and  let it simmer gently. Keep stirring occasionally.

While, the tomatos are cooking, roast three medium sized onions whole, on a grill pan

 Roast on an open flame till skin turns black all over. (You can also broil them)

Next, roast a whole head of garlic


Once roasted cool them in a bath of water, and peel of skins. Skins should slide off easily.

Roughly chop the onions and smash the garlic.

Add both to the simmering tomatos alongwith 1/2 cup of tomato puree

Simmer together until the tomato paste  turns a deep red

Easy pasta sauce is ready. You can add some dried herbs like basil or oregano five minutes before taking off the heat if you wish.

Now a small quiz#
How many teaspoons of oil/ghee/butter were used in this recipe?
Ans. Zero
Yes zero!! This is a completely fat free recipe!

Click here for the printable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy Bhel/marmara/puffed rice salad

Preschooler’s Diet

' I can(t) cook' or, 'The making of a Gobhi Paratha'