Orange Cake

IMG_0357

Normally, I make it a point to post a dish as soon as I make it. I prefer it that way,as all that led up to the making of it , is fresh in my mind. Somehow or the other, I missed posting this one, although I made it quite a while ago and even took photographs, fully intending to post it.

It all started with my son, clamoring for something sweet, and there being a surfeit of oranges in the refrigerator. The obvious choice for me to make an orange cake. In the mood for experimenting, I decided to steam the cake instead of baking it, and concerned about the effect all that maida (all purpose flour) would have on  my little one’s tummy I substituted all purpose with half of whole wheat and half of multigrain flour. The cake came out moist and sweet, with just the right tang of oranges.

3 oranges peeled and deseeded

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup multigrain flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup sugar  powdered (Depending on sweetness of oranges)

1 pinch powdered cinnamon

1 cup beaten yoghurt

2 tbsp vegetable oil

In a large mixing bowl sift the flours and baking powder. puree the oranges, sugar, yoghurt, cinnamon and vegetable oil together and mix until a smooth batter of dropping consistency is formed. slowly fold in the sifted flour mix, into wet mix. beat by hand or in a processor till smooth and aerated (about 20 min by hand). grease a cooker tin with ghee, In a pressure cooker pan pour about 2 cups of water in the bottom of the pan. place the tin in the pan, making sure it is not submerged. place the lid on, without the weight. Steam the batter, till well cooked or a knife inserted comes out clean. (about 40 min)

once done. let it cool for an hour, before cutting into slices. can be had by itself or with a glass of milk. Satisfies little ones sweet tooth and mommy’s health concerns too.

Comments

  1. Interesting, I haven't tried baking in a pressure cooker pan before, but I love the idea of orange cake. I bet it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    As food inspires you, hence thought to share the story of Plattershare.

    www.plattershare.com is a food networking platform which aims to bring the food enthusiast (home chef, professional chefs, food bloggers) and food business (restaurants, food start-up and food and beverages companies) together to share their passion for food and grow their business.
    So join us and show your passion for food.
    See you soon on Plattershare.
    Thanks
    Plattershare Mascot

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment below.

Popular posts from this blog

Pasta with vermicelli noodles (semiya)

Healthy Bhel/marmara/puffed rice salad

Happy new year! Looking ahead with top 10 new recipes to try list